Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter Birds and Kittinspiration

So originally I had wanted to use a picture of my bird instillation to enter in the Toronto Star emerging artists contest that had a winter in Toronto theme, unluckily the day I installed happened mostly sunny, sometimes overcast, definitely freezing, but most of all snow free. I was hoping for snow soon so I could go back and take pictures. It was only three days later that the first substantial snow appeared.


I was expecting for some birds to be gone, and was fully prepared for all the ones in reach to get stolen eventually. I had to talk my roommate Nicki, who helped me install, out of stealing some before I even had my critique. I was completely surprised to see about half the birds gone in such a short time.


I think its really lovely though that people from all around Toronto will have my little birds in their hands and houses. I would love to know anyone who has them, but for now I can just fantasize about where they are now. In the end I didn't submit my image to the contest, I couldn't decide if I should submit the half empty tree with snow on the ground or the full tree without the wintry surroundings. To be honest the submit date just slipped my mind and I had a moment of panic when I realized it, but also glad that I didn't have to resolve that issue.


By the time I went to take down the empty ribbons this Wednesday only the birds that were fully out of reach were left, i even had trouble getting down some of the ribbons with my ten foot ladder. There were only eighteen left and I accidentally cut a few down in the confusion of all the other tangled ribbons.


I left eleven up and all the extra ribbons are gone. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with them. Eventually I will have to take them down so they don't harm the tree, but if anyone is feeling adventurous or is equipped with a large ladder please feel free and do the job for me.


Also, just for fun, here's some silly pictures I took of some silly cats. I'm calling it Kittinspiration, and yes, I am coining that phrase.




No comments:

Post a Comment