Monday, November 16, 2009

The Home of Hamlet

So it's about a week after I got back from Denmark and I think I am finally ready to make a post about it.

On a Thursday afternoon I had just packed up all my things, including all of the snacks I made the night before (sandwiches and chips!) and was on my way to the studio to print my tickets. By the time i had everything in order I had just missed the 12 30 bus by one minute and had to wait for the 1. Just the beginning of a day of waiting.

My Flight got delayed for an hour so I waited at the airport for about two and a half hours. Which wasn't so bad because I had just started Leonard Cohen's first novel The Favorite Game. When I got to my stop over in Frankfurt I had about a four hour wait. There wasn't much at this terminal of the airport so I found come goodies and settled down for some good girl time.


I drew this little guy on the plane! Where I had a seat between me and another guy in a row of three. So lovely!


Finally I arrived in Copenhagen to see Lene! Who lived with me when she was in highschool and I was two as an exchange student! I hadn't seen her in nine years! We just went straight to bed at her friends Gavin's house and I woke up the next morning to see swans on the canal outside! Probably the most amazing morning ever.


Then we joined them on the water in a boat bus and went to a town inside the city called Christiania. Which was a commune of people living illegally on old military land and in the barracks there. It was so beautiful because people were building whatever they want there despite the strict Danish building laws.


There are alot of drugs so it's in debate what should happen to the people who live there. Even those who have families not involved with that aspect and have been living there for years.


On the water it had more swans and birds that this pup was watching.


It also has some of the most wonderful graffiti I've ever seen.


Then we went to the National Gallery but no photos allowed inside. I saw real live Munch's which was amazing! Then we drove to Lene's town Odense and went out for drinks at one of her local cafe's.

Next day we had cheddar cheese for breakfast!! (We don't have any in Italy.) I got a block to take home with me. The plan of the day was to go shopping in city centre at Lene's favourite store! I was really impressed by the fact that they had sizes that fit me and also subtle artistic talent I found in the centre of the square.


I had the rest of the day to relax as Lene and her boyfriend Jan had previous plane. Since I had spent all my money I just spent the rest of the day lounging and watching Disney movies. All while wearing my new jacket! Later that night Lene's parents came over for a traditional Danish christmas dinner. I had these lovely beet patties instead of the meat and luckily everything else was vegetarian!


My last day I figured I had to do at least one extremely touristy thing so we went to Hans Christian Anderson's place of birth which is now a museum. I wanted Hansy's bed! It was cozy and under the stairs.


The Houses were so beautiful and if I was rich and moved to Denmark this is definitely where I would live.


There was also a few print shops around which was exciting, but sadly there were closed on Sundays. I have this really horrible shot of an old press used to print Hansy's books but it's such a beautiful piece of machinery it needs to be a part of the photos anyway.


After some lunch we traveled about an hour to Lene's school which I was really excited to see not only to see where Lene worked but also to go horseback riding! We took a trail through the forest and it was I think the best moment of the trip for me. To be on a horse in a forest with colourful leaves falling and to be able to smell two of my favourite smells (horse and autumn) at once was amazing!


It was a bit of a busy day so we just stayed home and watched Hairspray and next day I had to take a train into Copenhagan for the plane. Lene and I had to part ways once again!


Luckily I was cheered up at the airport by sweet sweeeeeeet starbucks chai latte and boxed tea (they don't have chai in Italy anywhere!) Also, toblerone and granola bars were my lunch.


And finally just before the sun set on my first of my two flights home I grabbed this shot.


And that basically sums up my journey.
I love Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment